Vendor Street Rights
The Street Sense Media newspaper is distributed freely while soliciting donations at the suggested starting point of $2.
According to the American Civil Liberties Union, the First Amendment protects everyone’s right to “….approach pedestrians on public sidewalks with leaflets, newspapers, petitions and solicitations for donations without a permit. Tables may also be set up on sidewalks for these purposes if sufficient room is left for pedestrians to pass. These types of free speech activities are legal as long as entrances to buildings are not blocked and passers-by are not physically and maliciously detained. However, a permit may be required to set up a table.”
To file a free speech complaint with the ACLU if you believe your civil liberties have been infringed upon, you may contact the local office for where the violation occurred to see if they will take your case. Please note that these are not hotlines or emergency numbers:
- DC: Voicemail (202-601-4269) | Online form | More info
- MD: 443-524-2558 (Tuesdays and Thursdays 1-3 pm) | Mail | More info
- VA: Online form | Mail | More info
Vendor Code of Conduct:
1. Street Sense will be distributed for a voluntary donation of $2.00, I agree not to ask for more than two dollars or solicit donations for Street Sense by any other means.
2. I will only purchase the paper from Street Sense Staff and will not sell papers to other vendors.
3. I agree to treat all others – customers, staff, other vendors – respectfully, and I will not “hard sell,” threaten or pressure customers.
4. I agree to stay off private property when selling Street Sense.
5. I understand that I am not a legal employee of Street Sense but a contracted worker responsible for my own well-being and income.
6. I agree to sell no additional goods or products when selling the paper.
7. I will not sell Street Sense while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
8. I agree to stay at least one block away from another vendor.
9. I understand that my badge is the property of Street Sense and will not deface it. I will present my badge when purchasing the papers and display my badge when selling papers.
10. I understand that Street Sense strives to be a paper that covers homelessness and poverty issues while providing sources of income for people experiencing homelessness. I will try to help in this effort and spread the word.
*11. Due to COVID-19, I understand that until further notice, all Street Sense Media Vendors are required to wear a face mask and gloves while vending to the public. This Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided and replaced as needed.