- Volunteer at Street Sense Media – support our vendors, help plan exciting events,
- Or become an intern
- Volunteer your time at a nearby service provider – like Miriam’s Kitchen or Sasha Bruce Youthwork
- Add the Hypothermia Shelter Hotline (202-399-7093) to your phone; call when you see a person who may need transportation to a shelter during Hypothermia Season (Nov. 1-Mar. 31)
- Endorse the Housing Not Handcuffs campaign to end the criminalization of homelessness and assure holistic housing for all
- Volunteer with The Way Home Campaign and sign their pledge to end chronic homelessness in DC
- Join the Housing for All Campaign run by the Coalition for Nonprofit Housing & Economic Development
- Stay informed about policy initiatives that might need your support; and write to your local officials
- Contribute to Street Sense Media to make an impact on the lives of people experiencing homelessness.
- Please email [email protected] with any questions about your donations or our work.
- Donate clothing (particularly warm winter items), feminine products, toiletries, bus passes, cell phones, etc. to local shelters.
- Street Sense Media collects new and lightly used winter clothing–as well as hand warmers, new socks, hats, and gloves–starting in November for our annual holiday party in December. Please email [email protected] to make a donation.
- Learn more about how you can be part of the solution
- Engage friends and family in discussions about homelessness to confront negative stereotypes with compassion and encourage positive language and respect
- e.g. use “persons experiencing homelessness” or “homeless individuals” rather than “bum, transient, panhandler, the homeless”
- Why might someone be “smelly, lazy, uneducated, rude, addicted, etc.”? If they had supportive access to resources to change this situation, we bet they would.