Reflections on Independence
July Fourth or You-Lie Fourth
By Michael Craig
The aftermath of the Charleston massacre has switched the focus from the mourning of these American church-going citizens to the relevance and implications of the confederate flag.
The historical relevance of the confederate flag is found in the division of our union and a strange cultural racial pride to maintain the institution of slavery.
However, even though physical slavery has been outlawed, the confederate flag has not.
As we approach July fourth, which was established during slavery times, those who support the flying of this flag must ask them whether this is the celebration of July fourth or you-lie fourth.
Voices of Mother Emanuel: A Vigil
By Chris Shaw
On Independence Day, “Freedom” should particularly represent one’s ability to walk freely, enjoying life – rather than to be cut down by hot bullets of hatred! On Friday June 19, I joined many other Washington’s at the Metropolitan AME Church for a non vigil in reembrace of the 9 victims of the church shooting in Charleston, South Carolina.
1) I tried to persuade him. “This must not stand”- To no avail’ for he fired the gun into me , anyway.
2) As a minister, I saw he looked to need something to believe. Said I, “Do you know Jesus?” Then the bullets stopped my reaching out…
3) I am a librarian. I felt sorrow for this lost soul. But now, where is the love and understanding?
4) Outside, my mother was waiting for me– When will I again to see her?
5) I have served somehow at this sanctuary over fifty years! Never, were we violated in this way.
6) Have mercy on his tortured soul. However, I am free today.
7) God gave us everything; Satan cannot take it all away in one cruel instant.
8) I just know the Savior will answer these questions, that seem to have no answer.
9) All of my life I studied Scripture. The Lord must have prepared me,then, for this terrible moment!
Why, As We Cry
By Robert Warren
To ask why is only to begin to cry,
once again for the young and not-too-old
The wise old soul’s wisdom lost another
king to us all – gone before his time
but know that the Lord brought them home to shine
black and white will have their time
For the scales will be fair
peace and forgiveness everywhere
oh a evil seed that what racist ideology bread,
remember Mother Emanuel please and the sound of the gun
NRA says it just for sport and fun
Sandy Hook and our Beautiful kids were done
For few dollars the second amendment says to the crazy among us you can have a gun
politicians should be lined up just for fun
and nobody ask why
why why must the best among us die
now I cry once again
as I listen to broadcaster on Fox News lie
CNN try MSNBC wish for pie in the sky
until the next Fort Hood
it’ll be all good
so why not just cry now
no reason why
as we cry